Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 5 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 17 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:16 pm 
Tart Admin

First of all I just want to make it clear that the main purpose of the Terrapin Tarts is NOT badmouthing annoying authors or trashing other people's fics. This less than flattering notion seems to have become a common one following a sudden influx of new members who signed up after hearing about the Badfic Awards, or came to check out Ivy_chan's (completely brilliant and fricken HYSTERICAL) Badfic Review Theater installments. Some of us have begun to grumble about the misunderstanding, but when I look at it from the point of view of one of these newcomers to the board, and consider what parts of the board you all DON'T get to see, it really does make sense how this reputation of ours came about. And I suppose it's really no one's fault but our own.

Yeah, the truth is we DO think badfics can be a huge source of amusement, and yes our sarcasm can be downright scathing at times, and generally we have grown used to our freedom. We often don't hesitate to call a spade a spade. We aren't heartless or incapable of tact, but the truth is we really ENJOY having that freedom. We are a privately hosted, built from the ground up, completely unrestricted, adult-oriented forum for just that reason: it lets us say and do what we want here, bunny any crazy twisted fucking plot we please, and -- yeah, occasionally we forgo political correctness and get those rants off our chest when we need to.

All that said... if negativity and putting people down was ALL there was to this place? Or even MOSTLY what it was about? I can tell you right now, in no uncertain terms, that I would not be a Terrapin Tart!

I'm a Terrapin Tart because they are my very best friends in the fandom. We have huge respect for one another as writers, and have come to trust one another's high standards and excellent taste. We love hanging out chatting with one another, analyzing TMNT characters and various canons in microscopic, excruciating detail, beta-ing each other's stories and offering concrit, bouncing new bunnies off one another... and then there's the ROLEPLAY! Gah. It's such a HUGE reason for me, I'll admit it; I'm completely obsessed with it. For all of these reasons, we are pretty much joined at the hip and have been for some time now.

People have accused us of being elitist. To that, I have to respond... uh, yeah! Sorry! We might be somewhat elitist, after all.

But please try to understand, we never meant for this place to become a large-scale social gathering place for the general TMNT-loving public. We do NOT want to see the population explode to such an extent that we are forced to become the police of our own playground, forcing us to make a bunch of stupid stuffy rules and mediate tons of drama. In fact, we feel so strongly about NOT wanting this that soon we will be locking down these forums and making it ten times more difficult to become a member (re: invite only). I'm sorry if this just elicits FURTHER resent or stands as some kind of proof that we're totally cliquish and insular. But in many ways this is our haven, where we can escape from the little kids and the bickering asshats and so-batshit-crazy-for-Leo-that-I-post-about-him-nonstop-24/7 psychopaths. We don't know how to change the fact that we are a close-knit group of TMNT-obsessed friends. And to be honest we don't really want to!

We ARE friendly, and to the new faces who have been hanging out on our boards lately -- gah, we totally love you guys! We really are flattered, because there have been some really awesome, talented people who have been dropping by lately and hanging out with us here. We hope you continue to crack us up with your posts and hijacking our threads with your craziness and just having a good time in general! We absolutely don't agree to the claims of elitism because we want to put ourselves on some kind of pedestal over anyone else, particularly not our awesome Tartfriends (gosh, we even totally hero worship some of you and are trying our best not to drop to our knees Wayne's World style like "WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!")

But at the end of the day, this place is still our home on the web - the only haven we've got. A LOT of work was put into this place so it could serve the various wants and needs of this small group of fanfic writers, roleplayers, and really close friends who share a common love for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. No matter how big we may get, no matter how many people complain, I'm afraid that will continue to be the primary purpose of this place.

XOXO

Winnychan

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:37 pm 
Tart Admin

Hear hear, my friend. Many of us are nicer than some of our critics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:09 pm 
Tart Admin

100% agreed from the Aub.

Huey: Why can't life be more like Star Wars?
Caesar: Well, then Jar-Jar Binks would be real, and there'd be a bunch of Ewoks running around--nobody wants that.
Huey: A small price to pay if the people you love could come back as blue ghosts.
--The Boondocks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:18 pm 
Tartfriend

Oh, 'elitism' my fanny. I mean, when I first signed up, I was a little hesitant because I was a stranger to most of the tarts and not sure how I'd be received. But everyone's been totally friendly and welcoming, so...so there.

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.
Dorothy Parker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:05 pm 
Tartfriend

Swallow wrote:
Oh, 'elitism' my fanny. I mean, when I first signed up, I was a little hesitant because I was a stranger to most of the tarts and not sure how I'd be received. But everyone's been totally friendly and welcoming, so...so there.

That's been my experience so far, as well.
Um...all five minutes of it.

:D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:09 pm 
Tart Admin

Elitism, as I probably don't need to point out, is politics, like fascism or communism or militarism. Nowadays, the word is sometimes used to refer to someone with higher standards than the speaker. It all goes back to being able to insult someone for anything. If you're picky, you're a Bad Person. So it's a word that gets redefined depending on what the speaker wants it to mean and in the end means nothing at all.

"Clique" has negative connotations and is really not that appropriate for our situation. Cliques are very exclusive. You're friends with these people because they're part of your clique, not vice versa. The fact that we have friends outside of the Tarts alone shows that we're not a clique. We're a group of friends. Unless it's expected for us to make equal friendships with everyone in the fandom, I don't see how that's a bad thing, or altogether novel at all.

We don't intend to hurt. We don't mean to defame or humiliate. We don't hate anyone. Most everyone has MST'd a bad movie (or even a good one). The snarkery around here is no different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:48 am 
Tartfriend

Everyone bitches ... the problem that those that dislike it have, I would assume, is that this is more public. However, whilst what consitutes a badfic can actually still be considered subjective for the most part what you take shots at is terrible. Personally, the fact that you are prepared to call a spade a spade shouldn't be something that is frowned upon, in many ways you are just saying and doing what ever one else does to a greater or lesser extent.

At least the tarts have the stones to do it in a forum that those they are critiquing/taking the piss out of, can see it.

-Hel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:58 am 
Tartfriend

In all honesty? I came here for the snark.

I stayed for the RP. I stayed for the intelligent discussions. I stayed for the sense of openness. I stayed for the awesome art critiques I've recieved. I stayed for the sense of closeness and community among the Tarts and Tartfriends. Once the novelty of being able to openly snark wears off, there's just ... so much more to this place.

People who I consider friends have said some awful things about this place but to me it just seemed like they'd passed their judgement without looking at anything other than the Badfic Review Theatre. As far as I'm concerned, they can take their unfounded accusations and stick 'em.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:10 pm 
Tart Admin

Thanks, Dis - that means a lot, and believe me when I say that I'll do all I can to make sure that everything you said about this place stays true. Everyone else who chimed in with their words of support or defended us against slander elsewhere, we appreciate it more than you know! Like I said in my OP there will be a lot of upcoming changes to the site, mainly to prevent overpopulation, add some kickass new features to the boards, and tighten up the presentation of existing content.

I'm especially interested in organizing a One-Review-a-Day Marathon... miss a day and you're out, last standing wins. We wanna put a little positive energy back into the fandom and maybe recover some karma, hehe... wait til you see the reward I have in mind for incentive!

I'm hoping to get everyone to sign off on a Fanfiction Workshop board (everyone seemed so amazed to get thorough, honest opinion concrit... gosh, I guess we're just used to that! So it will be a good place for giving suggestions and swapping writng tips and help for plot research... but we do not hold back with one another if we see room for improvement, and don't bother if you are only looking for a pat on the back!

Thanks for sticking with us through the growing pains, guys!

XOXO

Winnychan

Last edited by Winnychan on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:16 pm 
Tartfriend

Winnychan wrote:

I'm especially interested in organizing a One-Review-a-Day Marathon... miss a day and you're out, last standing wins.

Tell me more....=oD
Winnychan wrote:
I'm hoping to get everyone to sign off on a Fanfiction Workshop board (everyone seemed so amazed to get thorough, honest opinion concrit... gosh, I guess we're just used to that! So it will be a good place for giving suggestions and swapping writing tips and help for plot research...

This exists??
Where -oh -where is that???

~GW

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:09 pm 
Full Time Tart

Winnychan wrote:
I'm especially interested in organizing a One-Review-a-Day Marathon... miss a day and you're out, last standing wins. We wanna put a little positive energy back into the fandom and maybe recover some karma, hehe... wait til you see the reward I have in mind for incentive!

I LOVE this idea. I love it like WHOA. Sign me up! Everyone's gonna kick my tush, because I am The World's Suckiest Reviewer (TM), but I wanna give it a go nonetheless. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:14 pm 
Full Time Tart

I'd love both of these ideas, too, Winny - but methinks you already know that. :D I mean, if DB has to be the World's Suckiest Reviewer, I have to be a pretty close runner up ... ::cough::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:32 pm 
Tart Admin

Winny, I've wanted BADLY to have a fanfic workshop community for MONTHS, but didn't set one up when I first had the idea because I didn't want to be seen as campaigning for the People Awards. I am SO on board for that. I mean, I could CRY for how on board I am. 200%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:41 pm 
Full Time Tart

Location: The eye of the storm (or something similarly witty)
Quote:
I'm hoping to get everyone to sign off on a Fanfiction Workshop board

Yeah, there might be a little problem with that... see, I'd totally SWAMP the boards, I'm so starved for something like that! :D :D

KameTerra

Icon by Mainframe

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:15 pm 
Full Time Tart

Location: In a cozy cardboard box apartment under a bridge- with my Aussie twin
I ADORE both of these ideas!

Gah, this forum rocks. :D

I am the Melon Lord! MWAHAHAHA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:25 am 
Tartfriend

DisneyDelinquent wrote:
In all honesty? I came here for the snark.

I stayed for the RP. I stayed for the intelligent discussions. I stayed for the sense of openness. I stayed for the awesome art critiques I've recieved. I stayed for the sense of closeness and community among the Tarts and Tartfriends. Once the novelty of being able to openly snark wears off, there's just ... so much more to this place.

Dude. Exact same sentiments...'cept you said it far more eloquently than I could!

And *ooohs and ahhhs* I'm not sure which I like better. The workshop or review marathon.

"I do like a good maze." ~Master Splinter

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:03 pm 
Full Time Tart

I want to pop this topic back up to the top, so it doesn't get overlooked. Folks, we snark here -- we love to snark -- but that's not our main purpose. The real reason we're all here, and the reason we stay, is because this is a community of people who are dedicated to the idea of growing as writers. We help each other out, we give (and get!) a lot of constructive criticism, we learn from each other.

We're here because we love good fanfic, and hope to see more of it. And we're not ashamed of trying to be the ones who write more of it, either.

If you're visiting us, I hope you'll keep that in mind. We're not just making comments about the writing of others -- that's just the tip of the iceberg. Most of what we do goes on behind the scenes here, and is all dedicated to helping the members of this community become better writers.

Kittens, jam, and rage. That's what Dee is made of...

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 17 posts ]